Another Log implementation

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Mon May 30 07:01:21 PDT 2011

On 5/30/11 3:48 PM, Vincent wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 14:24:10 +0200, David Nadlinger <see at klickverbot.at>
> wrote:
>
>> First, please note that Jose turned verbose logging on just for IO as
>> well, you might want to have a closer look at his post.
>
> Oh, really? This is cite from his library:
>
> vlog(0)("Verbosity 0 message");
> vlog(1)("Verbosity 1 message");
>
> Can you point me where is any logical separation between modules?

In his post you originally replied to, he wrote: »So QA reruns the app
with the command line option --vmodule=io=3« – note the »io« part there.
In terms of code, e.g. here:

https://github.com/jsancio/phobos/blob/master/std/log.d#L864

>> Second, your proposal doesn't allow enabling/disabling verbose logging...
>
> My realisation have no any 'verbosity' at all due to helpless.
> But yes, to completely remove logging (from binaries) you have to
> recompile the program. Or you can do it at runtime, just 1 line of code.
> And look please at second version: http://pastebin.com/fd3UCgjv - it
> doesn't force you to use version(log) anymore.

I was referring to the post of you I actually cited, where you wrote:

---
In this case I prefer snippets like this:

// some IO logic
version(log_io) logDbg(`SENT: ` ~ line);
---

Clearly, you can't activate/deactivate logging at runtime here, but you
proposed that directly in answer to a post where the merits of being
able to enable verbose logging in an existing application were discussed.

No offense intended, but could you please try to respect common
newsgroup/mailing list etiquette and actually read the posts you are
replying to?

David