std.socket

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Wed Nov 2 09:59:52 PDT 2011

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:45:30 +0000, Regan Heath wrote:

>> Yes Jens, that's what I thought, and that approach does indeed change
>> the buffer size, but not by anything close to what you ask for. I've
>> tried both SOCKET and IP.
>
> What operating system are you on?
>
> This may be of interest (even if you're not on windows, as it references
> some RFCs etc which may have some bearing on how things work on your
> OS): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms819736.aspx
>
> Also, this thread mentions fpathconf() which I've not heard of before
> (probably because it's more of a UNIX thing?):
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/565804/max-value-for-so-rcvbuf-in-
windows

> .. why do you want/need such a large TCPIP recv buffer?

I'm using Ubuntu i386. I just thought that since MySQL talks blithely
about packet sizes of 16mb I would investigate how my protocol interface
performs with large buffers and large BLOBS.

I believe Ubuntu imposes the buffer size limitation and you have to mess
with kernel configuration files to change that. But I don't want to go
there and wondered if I was missing some simple point.

Steve