BitBucket Offers Git Support

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Thu Nov 3 10:45:58 PDT 2011

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:24:53 +0100, Danni Coy <danni.coy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Martin Nowak <dawg at dawgfoto.de> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:07:54 +0100, Denis Shelomovskij <
>> verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Two regular arguments against git.
>>
>> - The Tcl/Tk based Git Gui and gitk look awful.
>>
>>  Yes the do but are highly efficient on a day-to-day basis.
>>  I'm running a FreeBSD system and I can not find any simple
>>  (non-KDE) but complete Hg tool.
>>  Complete here means committing and inspecting the tree.
>>  On windows you have TortoiseHg which already is too fancy.\
>>

>  It's a pity you specify non-kde. However so far I have found git-cola my
> favourite git front end and KDevelops built in git support is starting to
> get good. Git Cola I think is Qt but with no KDE dependencies.
>
> We are about to trial git-cola and git on our windows workstations for
> our
> artists (they are currently using subversion and tortoise-svn - but have
> lot of slowdowns due to our artists committing assets but forgetting to
> commit other assets that those assets refer to).

I don't have issues finding a program for git but one for hg.
Looks nice though, especially the DAG reminds me of an idea
I have in mind which I never got round to program.

Setting-up Git on Windows can be a mildly PITA, so I wish you good luck.
There's a commercial tool http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/index.html
that some people like but IMHO it's too Java.

martin