Native D MySQL Driver

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Fri Nov 4 10:19:23 PDT 2011

On 11/04/2011 09:25 AM, Steve Teale wrote:
>   I don't think you need to worry
> about changes while stepping through rows.

That's questionable. Consider Stock Market quotes. Some lib designers,
for instance. libpgxx (C++ PostgreSQL) have a different view.. let me
quote :
*With conventional database APIs, you issue commands and queries to a
database session or connection, and optionally create the occasional
transaction. In libpqxx you start with a connection, but you do all your
SQL work in transactions that you open in your connection. You commit
each transaction when it's complete; if you don't, all changes made
inside the transaction get rolled back.*

However, there are always many ways to skin a cat. PostgreSQL, Firebird,
MSSQL Server (not sure about MySQL) enable you to trigger server side
events.
Means the database server fires an update event (say employee deleted
event) and a D function living in a secondary thread will catch this
event and inform all interested parties (subscribers**) to refresh their
RowSet. (and of course the UI)

Beside, this is the way we create mission critical,db-centric realtime
apps. works fine.
My 2 cents.
Bjoern

** Publisher/Subscriber pattern.