Bartosz about Chapel

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:13:32 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> On 11/9/2011 5:46 PM, Caligo wrote:
>
>> There are about 20 directives, so that puts the keywords count for C++ to
>> 101.
>>  It's still fewer than D.  Does that mean D is more complex than C++?
>>

> C++ has "unsigned", "long", and "unsigned long" while D has "uint",
> "long", and "ulong". That's one more keyword; does that make D more complex
> than C++?

In that example, I prefer the D way.  But, in both cases the different data
types exist because of speed and efficiency.    Semantically, int is more
or less a subset of long, so why do we need separate data types?  We don't,
really, and it's lame to clutter up the semantics of the language like that.

Something like this would have been better, and if I recall this is how
Chapel is doing it:

int(32)  a;  // int
int(64)  b;  // long

>  Python with 33, I think most would agree that is has a very consice
>> grammer.
>>

> Python lacks a lot of powerful features that are in D.

I know, and I wasn't trying to say that Python is more powerful.