RFC curl

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Nov 10 02:15:05 PST 2011

On Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:30:15 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-11-10 04:39, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> >> I don't want us to get caught in the rat race of "the version that
> >> comes
> >> with the compiler is out of date". libcurl has its own development
> >> cycle, and dmd should not be slaved to that.
> >
> > Yeah. That's one reason why I'm not a fan of the idea of distributing it
> > with dmd. So, it won't hurt my feelings any if it never gets put into
> > the zip file. However, we're going to have to make it clear in the
> > documentation on how to get your hands on an appropriate libcurl
> > library (especially since any version of it that you're likely to find
> > online would be in the wrong library format).
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> What about distributing it from the dpl page but not in the dmd zip?

We definitely need to make it relatively easy to get the library, and I have no
problem with us providing a separate download for it. But Phobos isn't tied to
a particular version of libcurl, so if we provide it, we need to be providing
it as a convenience rather than saying that this is the version to use. And
really, we need better instructions in general about how to get a 3rd party C
library to work with D code on Windows. It's obvious a bit of an ordeal for
anyone who tries.

- Jonathan M Davis