ODBC component licenses

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Nov 10 23:51:47 PST 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 01:41:12 Jude Young wrote:
> >> I'd much rather have the database subsystem *framework* be a part of
> >> phobos, and the actual implementations be defined as 3rd party libs.
> >> Just from a practical point of view.
>
> Wait, wasn't that the point of CAPI/Deimos?  It seems that there is a
> bit of overlap here....

No. Deimos is for C headers which have been translated to D. What we're
talking about here are modules which provide engines for Phobos' database
framework. There will be modules for various databases - sqlite, postgres,
etc. Those modules will be written in D using the API that the database
framework requires, and they will _use_ C headers which were translated to D
(possibly in Deimos), but they will not _be_ such headers, so they're not part
of Deimos. Whether they will end up in Phobos proper or not will depend on
stuff like what licenses they have.

- Jonathan M Davis