Website message overhaul

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Nov 14 07:53:05 PST 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:11:59 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> Then, if you really want JS users to see it
> collapsed by default, you collapse it *via JS* upon page load. Or just
> make
> use of the noscript tag. There is *never* any reason to do it any
> differently than that.

I agree, but there is a better way.

Use JavaScript and document.write to print out a style definition which
hides collapsed content, like this:

   <script type="text/javascript">
   // <!--
   document.write('<style type="text/css">.nojs { display: none;
}</style>');
   // -->
   </script>

(That goes inside the <head> tag.)

This avoids a flash of content before the document load events are fired.
Nobody likes those.

> Con: I don't think it's a good stylistic choice to have *no* sample code
> at all on the main homepage without clicking.

I agree, it just looks like a wall of text with the ugly Twitter thing in
the middle.

> Con: The little icons after external links are ugly and unnecessary.

They also have a border in Internet Explorer.

> Plus: I don't see this new twitface element people are talking about.
> Yes, I realize *some* people like such sites, but that's no excuse for
> cramming it down *everyone's* face. Again, we're not here to be
> twitface's free
> advertising. So I like that whatever this new thing is isn't showing up.

Do you have Twitter widgets blocked? (I have them blocked too...)
It's what the News section is.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net