Website message overhaul

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Nov 14 18:30:37 PST 2011

On 2011-11-14 21:52:30 +0000, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> said:

> On 11/14/2011 11:41 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> - Convenience
>> - Power
>> - Efficiency
>
> My problem with those three are those are the goals of every single
> computer language ever invented. They are completely and fatuously
> generic.

Very true. I wasn't really suggesting we use the words from this list,
it was more an attempt at exposing how little they meant compared to
the other triplet.

>  > - Modern convenience
>
> "Modern" implies using the latest ideas and techniques in computer
> languages. Modern has been used successfully in Andrei's books to
> convey that, which is why I suggested using the word.
>
>  > - Multi-paradigm power
>
> Many newly-designed languages are wrapped around a single paradigm, and
> they set a store by being so. D most assuredly and pointedly has
> different take on that.
>
>  > - Native efficiency
>
> Most (nearly all?) new languages are targeted at a VM. Being native is
> clearly a distinguishing feature of D.

Personally I rather like Modern, Multi-paradigm, and Native. It's
convenience, power, and efficency I'd rather remove, because they are
fatuously generic (your words) and effectively dilute what you're
trying to convey, at least when *I* read.

Beside, it should be telling that in each of your three descriptions
above, you talked about what it meant being modern, you talked about
single-paradigm languages, and about being native vs. VM. Nowhere did
you mention convenience, power, and efficiency… perhaps because those
are too generic or too implicit to talk about.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/