[OT] DVM (Was: Website message overhaul)

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Nov 15 13:00:46 PST 2011

On 2011-11-15 15:58, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
> news:j9tueg$1rlo$3 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 2011-11-15 15:23, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>>
>>> DVM really should be officially sanctioned and prominently recommended on
>>> d-p-l.org.
>>>
>>> I think the only big improvement DVM could really use at this point is a
>>> system-wide installation option that avoids the "edit
>>> .bashrc/whatever..."
>>> step on Posix. With just that, I really think it should be the #1
>>> recommended way of obtaining DMD. And installers should be based upon it.
>>
>> Yeah, system-wide installation would be nice. Just takes some thought to
>> figure out how it should work together with single-user installations.
>>

> What sort of specific potential problems do you see?

The thing is that I haven't thought about it that much. But on top my
head I can think of:

What should happen if dvm is installed system-wide and at the same time
installed in the user's home directory?

* Should it possible to both access the compilers that are installed in
the system-wide installation and the single-user installation

* What happens when the user tries to switch to a compiler that is
installed system-wide but not in the user's home directory

That's what I can think of for now, but there can be other similar
scenarios.

--
/Jacob Carlborg