Website message overhaul

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Tue Nov 15 15:20:20 PST 2011

On 11/15/2011 04:54 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Scala's multi-paradigms are OOP and functional.
>
> Yet it doesn't support function purity or immutable data. Having a
> syntax for lambdas doesn't make a language functional. I know few people
> share my opinion about that, but it seems that functional is used a lot
> as a buzzword.

Alan Kay on C++: "Actually I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I
can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."

You can argue all you want whether Scala is /really/ functional, or if
C++ is /really/ object-oriented, but what is clear is that they have
both borrowed ideas from the different styles, and are not singularly
dogmatic as a single-paradigm language would suggest.