newsgroup web viewer

bcs bcs at example.com
Tue Nov 15 21:35:56 PST 2011

On 11/15/2011 09:12 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> bcs Wrote:
>> You must have miss-spoke. I assume your intended to say organised and
>> grouped instead of an insane interleaved view where the conversation's
>> natural structure is mashed flat and destroyed.
>
> I've *never* had a conversation in real life where time branched out.

That's one of the advantage of NNTP over talking.

> The closest you can come in real life is if a group splinters, and instead of
> a public forum, you have a bunch of private conversations that just happen
> to take place in the same room.

Yup and with news groups you can read them in whatever order you want,
consider them independently and even response (clearly and explicitly)
to a specific comment at any time after it was made.

>> Oh wait, that would have looked the same to you.)
>
> Yeah. I use the email gateway for reading, and skim posts in real time
> as they arrive in my inbox (which can be sorted in a variety of ways, but
> I usually keep it on strict linear, oldest first.)
>
> It's pretty rare that I look at the in-reply-to header at all. It serves almost
> no purpose.

It's pretty rare that I look at the time header at all. It serves almost
no purpose.

Most claims you can make to support a tree view being useless I can
tweak slightly to make support  a tree view being the better solution.

I say we paint the bike shed grey.