Website message overhaul

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 16 01:17:00 PST 2011

> On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 00:23:09 Walter Bright wrote:
>> That's like saying Python supports static typing, it just never checks it!
>
> While I don't know scala, I think that there's a _big_ difference between a
> language that supports a style of programming which is functional except for
> its lack immutability and saying that a dynamically typed language supports
> static typing.

Here's an analogy maybe that is more palatable. Let's say a language says it
supports "memory safe" programming. But it never checks it. Would you say, then,
that C "supports" memory safe programming, because if you're super careful and
never make any mistakes, it is memory safe? I'd be a laughingstock if I made
such a claim.

I would say that C doesn't prevent you from writing memory safe programs, but
not that it supported it. There is no support in C for it.