newsgroup web viewer

bcs bcs at example.com
Thu Nov 17 22:03:00 PST 2011

On 11/17/2011 09:02 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>> 1. compact, threaded view
>
> You have to acknowledge that a lot of people don't see this as
> newsgroups getting it right.

And you have to acknowledge that a significant of people do see this as
getting it right. And because Walter is in that group, the official
community device will support tree type threads.

> I'm completely opposed to it. (recursive*) Threaded views aren't just suboptimal.
> They are a *bad* thing. It was progress to ditch that misfeature, and it pains
> me that so many people want it anyway.
>
> * Simple threads can be good. Some organization helps. Too much is bad.

If they are suboptimal and bad, how do you then explain that the most
prolific form of electronic communication has a model that is almost
identical to NNTP?

http://xkcd.com/802/

When you get right down to it, from the client perspective, NNTP is just
a world readable e-mail address.