Website message overhaul

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Nov 18 07:12:15 PST 2011

On 11/18/11 2:16 AM, Derek wrote:

>>> Why D? What is D's purpose? What does it excel at? Why would I want to
>>> use it?
>>
>> Because it has modern convenience, multi-paradigm power, and native
>> efficiency.
>
> Still sounds like it was generated with a 'buzz-word' program.
>
> "modern convenience"? As opposed to what - modern inconvenience,
> old-fashioned convenience? Why not just say "convenient". DPL's syntax
> helps you write code by supporting convenient constructs and styles.

It's all explained right after. As opposed to languages that don't take
advantage of /recent/ progress in programming language design, which
make coding more /convenient/.

> "multi-paradigm power"? Let's face it, any product described using the
> term "power" is immediately suspect.

Why? I don't see that. I'm implying modeling power.

> Even if it IS powerful. That's not
> the point. If you want to emphasize the multi-paradigm aspect then just
> say that. DPL supports multiple coding paradigms, such as OOP,
> Functional, and Procedural.

Too long. That belongs to the extended description.

> "native efficiency"? What does that even mean?!

It means that D generates native code (no interpretation or virtual
machine), which makes for efficient code.

> If you are trying to say
> that it can be fast, then just say that (of course it depends on the
> implementation - I'm sure someone could create a slow D compiler and one
> that generates slow object code if they wanted to). By the way, I'm sure
> that by "efficient" you are not referring to memory usage - DPL has a
> large memory footprint.

Compared to what?

> DPL compilation is typically fast because of its
> module concept that allows the compiler to efficiently process imported
> files and multiple files in one pass, and can generate fast machine code
> because the coder can express their intentions with precision, enabling
> the compiler to avoid generic output and produce targeted output instead.

Too long. Extended description.

> I'm no word-smith, but the front page of the D site ought to avoid
> ambiguous and meaningless buzz. It needs to be straight talking and
> engaging.

Then please give some good examples of straight talk that's engaging.

Andrei