Website message overhaul

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Nov 18 23:55:25 PST 2011

On 11/18/11 1:15 PM, Bane wrote:
> <rant> As a language claiming for itself it was created out of
> practical needs of programmers I must say D fails on that test (both
> compilers and D website). It is not user friendly. It is user
> hostile, for simplest and most common tasks. Especially for newbie
> programmers.
>
> It was like that 4 years ago when I first saw it, and it is much
> like that now.

Is that the language, compiler, environment, or website? I got a bit
confused.

> You people should really hire some non-programmers with documenting
> skill and knack for KISS principle to make D website and
> documentation. It is obvious that Walter, Andrei and the rest of
> core people are highly skilled in their field of work, but not
> interested, available or competent to present D complexity in
> simple, right-to-the point way.

Right now D is pushed forward by volunteer work. Indeed it would be
great if more articles and tutorials were available.

> I guess it is so much more fun to add new features and optimize code
> than to organize and present all the documentation the way it can be
> useful.

Fun doesn't have a lot to do with it.

> And come on, BUD like feature is first useful thing compilers are
> lacking. Talking about practical need. </rant>

Agreed. To add to that, I am a bit worried that the most worked-on build
management tool uses D1 and Ruby.

Thanks,

Andrei