Website message overhaul, pass 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Nov 20 15:38:00 PST 2011

> On 11/20/11 5:22 PM, Danni Coy wrote:

>> "D naturally compiles to efficient native code."

>> "D compiles naturally to efficient native code."
>>

>> I think that naturally applies to D rather than compiles
>> so perhaps
>> "Naturally D compiles to efficient native code."
>
> That Yoda sounds said like.
>
> Andrei

On second thought, this seems glib, apologies.

What I really meant to say is that "natural" actually goes to the
process of compilation, not D itself. You can see that by replacing e.g.
"natural" with "easy": D compiles easily to efficient native code.
That's what I meant when writing the sentence, and again it's there to
avoid the fallacy that you'd need a magically advanced compiler to do that.

In fact I've considered adding one more sentence there, but I can't come
up with anything short and good. Something like: "D builds structure on
top of C's object model bedrock, so D compiles naturally to efficient
native code." That is long-ish and, worse, leads to all sorts of
mistaken interpretations.

Andrei