Phobos Wish List/Next in Review Queue?

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Wed Nov 23 11:35:46 PST 2011

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:20:35 +0100, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh wow, awesome! :)
> I'm always surprised by the state of the D libraries.. There's already
> lots
> of awesome obscure things are in there, but also completely obvious major
> features blatantly missing :)
There are some real gems, e.g. findRoot.

> So how about a DCT? Image/video processing... Perhaps a simple adaptation
> of FFT?

Too many different DCTs, too many different needs I'd say.

> And it's not clear to me at all whether that class will work with fixed
> point data... That's extremely important for a class like this (but
> granted, not really in line with D's take on numeric precision).
> Almost all audio and video data is in fixed point. Int->float conversion
> is
> very expensive on many platforms.

Too specialized. Given the obscurity of doing a fixed point FFT, the actual
implementation will be very tough, the log2N gain of calculating
intermediate
results is directly opposed to precision.

It would be interesting to offer vectorized 'Integral <-> Float'
conversions.