moving wxd to github

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Nov 24 03:01:46 PST 2011

Sam Hu wrote:
>>> May I ask which version of wxWidget,2.8.12 or 2.9.?  ?Thanks.
>>
>> For windows, it's:
>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxwindows/wxWidgets-2.6.4.zip
>>
>> Find this string: "1. wxWidgets" here: http://wxd.sourceforge.net/
>> and follow the instructions for step 1 (DM), or if you're on Linux
>> then I guess GCC. Compiling takes a while..
>>
>> Then get the repo from github and run 'make' in the wxd directory.
>> After a while, you can browse to 'samples' and run 'make'.
>>
>> The samples were recently updated to work with both D1 and D2.
> Thank you so much for the prompt response!Just wondering is there any special reason that wx2.8.* or wx2.9.* could not be supported?

Both wxWidgets 2.8 and 2.9 are supported, just that the API
was originally exported from wx 2.6.4 so that's the lowest
denominator and starting point, while 2.8.12 is the "stable".

In 2011 (with 0.16), the code was updated to work with wx 2.9
and dmd 2.054 - in addition to previous wx 2.8 and dmd 1.030
(it "should" still work with wx 2.6 and dmd 1.020 too, afaik)

If no other concerns, then pick 2.8.12 (the "Current Stable")
Supporting 2.6 was mostly for DMC, and 2.9 was mostly for Cocoa.

Maybe one would want to regenerate the D API for wxWidgets 3.0,
but should work fine without - similar to "WXWIN_COMPATIBILITY_*"

i.e. currently exported API:
http://wxd.sourceforge.net/wxWidgets-2.6.4/docs/html/wx/wx_classref.html

vs. the latest available API:
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/page_class_cat.html (from the svn trunk)