SQL/database server capabilities NO ODBC please

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Sat Nov 26 22:13:36 PST 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:31:33 -0800, bls wrote:

> Hi Steve
> First of all : I am sorry about my harsh words within my last reply. ---
> I am afraid that this feedback is also not very gentle.
>
> Picking up ODBC in order to figure out how an generic database Interface
> may look like is a very bad idea.
>
> Creating an ODBC Interface at all is pretty useless. NOBODY is using
> ODBC at all.
>
> Creating std.database based on sockets is useless. Let's take MySQL for
> instance.  In case that you create a commercial application based on
> MySQL you have to pay fees to ORACLE ( approx. 1000 Euro, per Server)
> and nobody cares about your BOOST licensed Phobos raw socket stuff..
>
> Despite that : std.database becomes unmaintainable. I've had a look at
> your sources, Tough stuff.  Same is valid Piotr's PostgreSQL
> implementation.
>
> NO!.
> I am all against it. I think that implementing std.database requires
> understanding of Martin Fowler's  Enterprise patterns, As said before :
> Function follows Form  :)
>
> Last, and most probably useless comment, Have a look at
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/
>
> Cheers,
> Bjoern

Bjoern,

No need for apologies, the D newsgroup is a hard school.

The intro for SQLAlchemy says:

"Over five years of constant development, profiling, and refactoring has
led to a toolkit that is high performing and accurate, well covered in
tests, and deployed in thousands of environments."

The situation for D is probably roughly as follows:

"About three months  of experimentation, and struggle with inaccurate
documentation, has led to a point where a group of three or four of us
can communicate reasonably effectively with four database systems - MySQL
(API and Protocol), SQLite, PostgreSQL (API and Protocol), and SQL Server
(from Linux and from Windows vis ODBC).

We are learning to walk. To do the things SQLAlchemy describes, I think
you have to understand how to do that.

You may detest ODBC, but it is very soon going to be the only way to
communicate with SQL Server short of writing another wire protocol
effort.  There was the alternative of OLE DB, but MS is dumping that.

In another post under the std.database thread I have already suggested
that the post of top-down high level designer is certainly up for grabs.
Do you fancy it? Maybe by the time the top level design is completed,
Piotr and I and and others will have the means to do the nitty-gritty
lower-level stuff. in a reasonably consistent way.

Steve