A real Forum for D

Unknown W. Brackets usefirstnameinstead-newsgroup at unknownbrackets.org
Mon Nov 28 23:06:06 PST 2011

Walter,

Well, having authored web forum software, I suppose I'll make a few
remarks here.  I seem to have gotten hit by a stray "forum software
writers (that's me) just don't get it."

1. Well, I get threads, I really do.  I understand their usefulness, and
how sometimes it's beneficial to completely ignore a branch - for
example, someone reporting an issue with a release on FreeBSD, that
doesn't affect me and I don't care about.

That said, I must say it's a relatively artificial form of conversation.
  It's annoying, quite frankly.  It's not that I don't get it, I just
don't *like* it.

I'm not alone.  Tons of other people have abandoned this artificial
communication format, not because they're stupid or "the masses" or they
don't get it, but simply because the cost benefit is not, generally there.

Nevertheless, I'll point out that vBulletin does, in fact, have this
feature, although I can't even remember that last time I saw someone use
it.  Instead they often try "hybrid" mode, which is a joke.  If you saw
that, you'd assume no one gets it.

2. I can't speak to all forum software, since several years ago I'm
pretty sure they just remembered the latest timestamp of the latest post
when you last visited.

But the forum software I was involved in, SMF, absolutely stores more
detail than just the topic being read or not.  And I'd imagine
vBulletin, as well, stores it per post in threaded mode.

3. Ignoring the comments about email replies (since they are easy
fodder), and returning to the original: many forum softwares (including
my own) due indeed provide a way to easily see which posts or topics you
have or have not read.

In fact, for a long while, I'm pretty sure SMF was the *only* one that
remembered topics you hadn't read between visits.  Maybe FUDforum too.
Now a bunch do it, I think.  Possibly all.

(cross-branch reply)

I'll also mention that most any web forum software does, in fact, have
authenticated moderation controls, easy to use ones in fact.

They could use client SSL certificates as security (RSA keys would be a
hard fit, I'd suggest a VPN with an authenticated IP range in that
case), but generally browser interfaces to this aren't ideal, and
difficult to transfer or recover.  That said, it's not that hard to use,
and I've wondered myself why it's not done more often.

(another cross-branch reply that is useful in context...)

Anyway, an NNTP bridge to a forum could certainly be written, and I'm
relatively sure there are already some available.  Unfortunately, it's
typical that they succumb to the same problems as #1, especially if the
interface doesn't enforce threading.

I'll note that I use Gmail proudly and often these days.  I'm happy that
it has adopted a *linear conversation format*, which makes sense to me,
works well, and simplifies reviewing past and future conversations.  I'm
not aware of any threaded message display format, despite the fact the
emails are ostensibly (though note cross replies and such) threaded.

And let's be honest.  When people ask for web based forums, they're not
talking about putting a threaded interface up.

-[Unknown]