wxC & wxD

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue Nov 29 00:26:31 PST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:16:09 +0100
"Marco Leise" <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:

> Take a look at Code::Blocks for an example. I think it is one of the
> most sophisticated applications written with wxWidgets. I used to
> have trouble with the XML GUI definitions though. Somehow they took
> ages for me to load and generate the UI on Linux, but not on Windows.

That's strange and it is the first time I heard something like that.

Two days ago I also asked on wxWidgets list if using XRC is kind of
idiomatic within wxWidgets community and Vadim Zeitlin (one of the core
devs) replied:

"Personally I've never really understood the appeal of compiling into code
and whenever I use XRC I load it during run-time. Perhaps you can gain some
minor performance advantage from compiling it into code (although I don't
know if anybody has ever really measured this) but using XRC is much more
flexible as you can tweak it without recompiling/rebuilding and often even
without restarting the program so I'd definitely recommend using it as is,
at least in the beginning."

> So I am biased slightly against wx with XML or XRC or what they are
> called.

I'd say your experience is probably not the accurate representation. Was
your problem with slow loading when using C++ or wxD?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good
or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it,