wxC & wxD

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Tue Nov 29 01:25:32 PST 2011

Am 29.11.2011, 09:19 Uhr, schrieb Gour <gour at atmarama.net>:

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:47:01 +0100
> Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, I don't understand what people has against DWT/SWT.
>
> First of all, I don't have any experience and as I wrote in another
> thread, looking at http://www.eclipse.org/swt/community.php - Ports
> section does not boost enthusiasm:
>
> - Fox port last news dated Sep 16, 2005
> - Swing port - 2007-08-20
> - D port based on 3.4 while 3.8 is in active development.
>
> Moreover, list of SWT-based apps tends to be quite short.
>
>> In my experience it's the toolkit that offers best native look and
>> feeling.
>
> It could be, but it is, somehow, not very well accepted.

I have two ideas why:
1. It is written in Java instead of C, which makes it impossible to write
bindings for Python or C++.
2. Java started with AWT. Later Swing was introduced as an alternative,
which satisfied those who found AWT lacking in some aspects. So today
you'd really have to read something like this
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/grid/library/os-swingswt/ to learn about
the key differences between the three and eventually decide to move on to
SWT.

Your are practically merging two isolated worlds in your comparison: Java
platform vs. the rest; [AWT, Swing, SWT] vs. [GTK+, QT, wxWidgets, ...]
It's probably comparable to the acceptance of D in a forum for embedded
developers.

I'm just thinking, that whatever toolkit has the fewest dependencies while
offering the most used widgets has the best chances to make it into Phobos
one day - if that is still desired.