wxC & wxD

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Nov 29 03:09:02 PST 2011

Gour wrote:
>> It's been drifting for a year, I don't think there's any announcement.
>
> Well, on 26th of August you wrote: "I am also stepping down as a
> maintainer, including the pre-built GDC distribution
> (gdcwin/gdcgnu/gdcmac) and the Code::Blocks support for D." and after
> being questioned by Andrej: "Do you mean you're stepping down as the
> maintainer of wxd, or just the GDC/CodeBlocks stuff?" your answer was:
> "All three. Mostly wxD, but also the others - not using." and your firt
> message cited above when all this wxD-thingie has started for me. :-)

Ah, right :-)

I do think it would make more sense if it was maintained by someone
actually using the software on a daily basis, but if nobody steps up
I suppose it could also be left (in the current state) for a while ?
Either would be fine: starting over with SWIG, or keeping Status Quo.

>> All I said was that I don't have the energy to start over with wx3/D2.
>
> I understand you.
>
>> The project should be fine for wxWidgets 2.8.12, maybe I just didn't
>> emphasize that fact enough. It even "works" with 2.9.2 and DMD 2.054,
>> although not using any of the newer features. That's not too shabby ?
>
> Not at all, but considering wx-3.0 is the future, the project is stalled
> at the moment.

Right, I guess it's "in maintenance" (without ever leaving Alpha stage).

If the 3.0 release would include a C version, that would change things
since that would mean that some of the SWIG code could be shared with
other language bindings (such as C# or Java, or perhaps Python or Ruby).
Currently each extra language has their own set of SWIG interface files.

--anders