Is D more cryptic than C++?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:24:42 PST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 22:30:21 -0800, Abrahm <abe2007 at nospam.net> wrote:

> I get the feeling that it is from reading the threads in here. Is there
> somewhere that has non-trivial D and C++ code that does the same thing,
> side by side, so that I can evaluate D better? Links if you got 'em
> please. Maybe even a small entire application would be good to download
> and perusal. This request really calls for code that is not part of D, so
> the D front end compiler and the like is inappropriate.

Well, i'd say that this forum can get hypertechnical in a hurry; a lot of
the conversation on this forum is directed at making D better, and because
of that, threads tend to run down arcane rabbit holes that use code that
you will probably never touch. I wouldn't really hold up the threads here
as an example of D's readability.

In my experience D is roughly analogous to C# in terms of crypticness and
readability, I am here doing long-term evaluations of D as a replacement
for C# on my employers projects as we may face power constraints in the
future that preclude the use of a JIT'ed language. So far, I like what
I've seen.

As for non-trivial code, there are a number of FOSS project lying around,
but I don't know of any that have parallel D and C++ implementations;
usually the developers have more interesting things to be working on...
The best you'll be able to do is probably this page:
http://www.d-programming-language.org/cpptod.html It includes some very
tricky examples surrounding templates towards the bottom.

--
Adam Wilson
Project Coordinator