Is D more cryptic than C++?

Abrahm abe2007 at nospam.net
Wed Nov 30 20:47:46 PST 2011

"bcs" <bcs at example.com> wrote in message
news:jb6vke$2f6o$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/30/2011 03:36 AM, Abrahm wrote:
>> "Adam Wilson"<flyboynw at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:op.v5q2zgji707hn8 at invictus.skynet.com...
>>>
>>> In my experience D is roughly analogous to C# in terms of crypticness
>>> and  readability, I am here doing long-term evaluations of D as a
>>> replacement  for C# on my employers projects as we may face power
>>> constraints in the  future that preclude the use of a JIT'ed
>>> language.
>>> So far, I like what  I've seen.
>>
>> But I thought that C# could be precompiled in some fashion? In either
>> case, going from C# to D seems like a major move. Not so much the move
>> but a too broadly defined application that it could actually be a good
>> fit with both languages.
>>

> A while back I built a tool to do automatic translation of C# to D1.

Oh, so you prefer the easy tasks then! Noted. (Embedded sarcasm defined:
Try going from D to C#! A very much harder, end of the chapter
excercise).

> Aside from a small number of language features, a large number of
> libraries and a significant amount of freedom w.r.t. formatting, the
> darn thing worked!

Well, don't make it out to be an accomplishment of the "harder"
end-of-chapter excercises when it is actually in the easy section.

> (Debugging it was "fun", as in running diffs of million+ line execution
> traces. But then I'm crazy enough to do that!)

Your need for "praise" and whatever, noted. I can't help you with that
(not that I don't want to or that your need isn't an indicator of
something wrong).

> Up shot is that for some applications, those languages aren't really
> that different.

That's really good. You're well on your way to completing the coursework.
Gold star. Keep up the good work.