[OT] TortoiseGit and Hg

foobar foo at bar.com
Sat Oct 8 01:29:39 PDT 2011

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> I've been getting more familiar with both git and hg, and I'm coming to the
> conclusion that I like TortoiseGit far more than TortoiseHg, but when I have
> to use them at the cmd line (which I hate to have to do), I can't stand
> Git's cmd line interface, but Hg seems to be pretty nice (and I like Hg's
> revision/changeset/whatever identier system far better). I know it's
> (theoretically) possible to use TortoiseHg with Git repos via hg-git (which
> only barely works at all, in my experience), but that's opposite of what
> I've realized I want. Anyone know if there's any way to go the other way
> around? Use TortoiseGit to work with Hg repos?
>
> Meh, frankly, I'm real unhappy with DVCSes. I'm completely sold on them, of
> course, a definite improvement over SVN. But before I learned about DVCSes I
> was very happy with SVN; not so happy with the DVCS landscape now that I'm
> here :/

Man, You don't make any sense.
It's true that GIT's cmd is more complicated than SVN but that's unavoidable due to the nature of DVCS.
While I agree that it could be improved still and that the command names are sometimes confusing, I also have to point out that Git's cmd is very flexible due to aliases. In fact I use most of the time my own git aliases.

Regarding Git's identifiers - SHA1 makes perfect sense once you internalize that a global versioning system is not possible in a distributed system. Hence the problem lies with the fact that you've got accustomed to SVN's revision system which I'd argue is an unfit design.