[OT] Nick's being an ass again (ok, *way* OT)

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Oct 8 17:16:03 PDT 2011

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 02:56:34 +0300, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> [snip rant]

I believe the reason why Google has started requiring phone numbers was to
curb usage of its free services by spammers. Captchas aren't cutting it
any more, when you can get people in developing countries to solve
thousands of captchas for a few dollars.

I've recently started getting spam from random people who have e-mailed me
in the past. I guess spammers have intensified efforts to hack into
peoples' mail accounts, which Gmail's spam filter trusts, and start
sending spam from them. Perhaps that's what happened in your case?

If you have a Gmail account you have access to, you can send yourself an
invite. I believe that bypasses phone validation, since it establishes a
trust relationship between the two accounts. Alternatively you could post
a non-Gmail address here, and me or someone else could send you an invite.

By the way, if you think it you got it hard - Google requires the same
phone number validation for my country, and yet does not support phone
validation for my country. No Gmail for Moldova :(

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net