[std.database]

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 17 11:24:21 PDT 2011

On Monday, October 17, 2011 11:07 simendsjo wrote:
> On 17.10.2011 19:46, Marco Leise wrote:

> >> But it looks like the C wrapper approach for MySQL won't fly for Phobos
> >> because of the GPL taint. MySQL support might have to be consigned to
> >> the Deimos 'derived works' directory. Either that or Phobos only
> >> supports versions > 5.xx.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> > Do people not upgrade their database to MySQL 5? I never had to deal
> > with that and especially large complicated databases. If it is easy to
> > upgrade to MySQL 5 and it is faster and more secure there are probably
> > few *actively developed* projects accessing MySQL 4 DBs. (MySQL 5 is
> > pretty much exactly 6 years old now.)
>
> You'll always find people not upgrading technology for various reasons.
> We continue to use MySQL 4 at work for an internal legacy application
> because it just works and we _know_ upgrading will be a lot of work.
> And see how IE6 is still in use.
>
> I'm not advocating that D should strive to support legacy technologies
> though. I don't think Win98 or earlier are supported either.

There is code in druntime and Phobos which special-cases for Windows 98 and
earlier (e.g. std.file using the A functions instead of the W functions if the
version of Windows that you're running on is too old to have the W functions).
Now, personally, I would love it if we just said that you have to have at
least Win2k if not WinXP. It would be _great_ to be able to assume at least
Vista, since it added a number of useful functions, but XP is still too
prevalent for that to be reasonable. Regardless, supporting older versions of
Windows is just plain irritating, since it restricts what you can do, and D is
new enough and Win2k old enough that I find it perfectly reasonable to insist
that you have WinXP or newer, but that's not what we're doing at this point.

- Jonathan M Davis