[std.database]

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 10:54:48 PDT 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:41:05 -0400, Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme at jadamspam.pl>
wrote:

>> Unfortunately I am now reasonably sure that such documentation as there
>> is about the protocol tells lies. So getting it right is going to be
>> like
>> trench warfare. I was hoping to do it without resorting to dissection of
>> the MySQL source code, but the latter may be required.
>
> I guess you're right about that requirement. I also did read some
> Postgres source code to see how data types are encoded. Don't give up!
> :-)

Please be cautious about reading GPL'd source code to understand the
protocol.  It's possible to be in violation of the license based on this.

It generally takes two people to do this correctly, one to read and
understand the original code, and one to implement the new version based
on information conveyed by the first person.

I'd recommend someone taking the existing protocol document and updating
it with the corrections, then you using that document to fix the protocol
implementation in your code.

-Steve