Free?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 23 10:33:52 PDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 4:11 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> It never ceases to amaze me that "being business friendly" has become a
> phrase for "allows business to steal FOSS work for profit" and conned
> the FOSS community into thinking this is a good thing!

The Boost license for Phobos allows such use, and in no way are we Phobos
contributors being conned. We're well aware of it and in fact that's one big
reason why we chose Boost over GPL.

People are free to take the Phobos source and do whatever they please with it,
with our blessing. Hey, if Vanilla Ice "samples" it for his next rap album, we
won't sue. We promise!

Of course, we'd like it if they submitted back fixes and improvements, but
that's up to them. (Vanilla Ice, you can keep your rap version. Thanks but no
thanks!)