phobos alt.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Oct 29 17:26:17 PDT 2011

On Saturday, October 29, 2011 17:17:18 bls wrote:
> On 10/29/2011 04:58 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> > td.container seems to have been written by the very same Steven
> > Schveighoffer.
>
> Well, that's not quit right. Steven has done a lot of things on
> std.container, (especially algorithm wise, RB Tree f.i.),  but the
> senior designer is Andrei.
> But I thing it's up to Steven to explain the political thingies.
>
> Just want to say that > Phobos don't have a boost like container library
> and  dcollections is already offering something beyond. (cursors)
> AGAIN why not having alt.container  ??

If you want to have or use a 3rd party library, that's fine. But there's no
reason to put such a library inside of the standard library. That's just
confusing to people. std.container is how Phobos is going to do containers. It
needs to be fleshed out, and it's possible that its API needs some refinement,
but sticking alternate implementations of things inside of the standard
library is just confusing and schizophrenic. The standard library will have
what it will have and implement that how it implements it. It's
counterproductive to put a bunch of different ways to do the same thing in the
standard library. If someone wants a different design or implementation, they
can create or use 3rd party library which does that. There's no need for it to
be officially sanctioned in the standard library. So, if someone wants to use
dcollections, then let them use dcollections, but that's no reason to stick it
in Phobos which already has a different design for how its containers work.

- Jonathan M Davis