Free?

Chante udontspamme at never.will.u
Sat Oct 29 20:23:45 PDT 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:j8hp8a$2nei$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 28.10.2011 05:31, schrieb Chante:
>> Daniel Gibson wrote:

>>> Ok, for materials it's probably hard, but there is a possibility of
>>> chemical analysis and stuff like that.
>>> But I guess for things like e.g. car engines it may be easier
>>> (besides
>>> maybe special/new materials used).
>>
>> It's not worth it. If a company is relying on a competitor's engines
>> develop it's own, it's effectively out of the business of engineering
>> (it's just then a manufacturer of other company's products perhaps).
>> Competitive analyis is fine, but a company cannot be in the engine
>> business without the required engineering prowess required for that.
>>

> I don't know.
> I guess you could claim the same thing about companies who have to
> steal code from other companies instead of writing it themselves.

Well isn't that within the realm of what I said?

> So what's the difference between "competitive analysis" and "looking at
> foreign code" anyway?

Looking at source code is just discovering how to do it. Meaning the one
doing the looking has no capability: the proverbial "freerider"
("freeloader"?). Evaluating a competitor's software application program
for features and usage, etc. is what I'd put in the realm of "competitive
analysis".

In the engine company I used to work for, once in five years I remember
having to dyno-test a competitor's engine (the company I worked for had
it purchased for us) to evaluate what the thing actually did in regards
to torque and horsepower. We didn't do much with it at all except for
those kinds of things, for dyno cell time was limited and was better put
to use on our own engines than a competitors. They did the same things
with ours for sure. "Finding the coca-cola formula" of the engine though?
What's the point? (Surely the concept of "what's the point?" is lost on
the "freerider").

> How can you be sure that your engineers don't copy ideas from
> competitors engines?

What's to copy? The engine block color? The chrome valve covers? We had
engineers going to the same advanced training, and supporting the same
curriculums at universities and such as the competitors, and there aren't
that many secrets. And even "the secrets", aren't important. What about
"the silver bullet" though, you ask? Anyone wanting source code, should
simply go work for the company producing the products, because those have
already admitted they are incapable of producing anything out of the
ordinary on their own. I think that because source code gets transformed
into a binary executable, people want it because of it's ellusiveness.
Give it to them, and they will be dissastisfied and need more "fix". It's
never enough, because there is nothing really there. Ignore a girl, and
she'll be attracted to you (Tha is, IF, you "have" another girl...
loners/losers need not apply). Fall for her though, then the baddest boy
on the block will be bangin' her while you can just go find "God" or
something and "leave me alone already! (when she finds out that the 70k
'vette came from engineering rather than sales jobs)". Grass is
greener... where?

Let's "get to the crux" of what you asked though, and enough with my
banter. You used the words: "engineers" and "copy". Tell me, do find any
oxymoronishness, to using those two words in the same sentence?