phobos alt.

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 21:30:51 PDT 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:20:15 -0700, bls wrote:

> I am watching D since about 4 years now.
>
> Still no std.collection. For whatever reasons several approaches to
> bring in an usable collection module has been mission impossible. Just
> want to mention Ben Hinkle D1 , Uwe Salomon D1 , and now Steven
> Schveighoffer D2, not to forget Ant D1 (the GTKD initiator)

We don't need an alt. We need a place people can go to find libraries
they desire. These libraries need to be maintained.

Phobos is already open to contributions for improvements and missing
functionality. std.container has a different design goal than dcollections
(intended candidate) but modification and submission has already been
approved and welcomed by both parties.

We want high quality code entering the standard library, and that does
mean slower adoption. But it also means a willingness to maintain, stick
around, and put up with political strife.

When people work on their project they enjoy doing it at leisure, making
it public but only announcing upon a usable release. This means code is
placed on dsource, github, bitbucket, and developed without intent on it
being readily usable. And left in various states, just like all other OSS
sites.

With the fast pace development of the compiler, libraries can quickly be
outdated, things are slowing. If their is a requirement to maintain, it
can put people off of submitting. But if there isn't one than someone
else just added to their work or the alt lib would quickly become a
dsource.

The two options I see: someone to go in and updated all of dsource so it
compiles on the latest compiler, or update the important libraries they
find here:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DevelopmentWithD/Libraries

If we can't maintain a list of maintained usable projects, what makes you
think we can maintain an alternate library?

There is also a CPAN like project in development. Once done, it would
require usage by the community to be of any use.