phobos alt.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 31 17:46:37 PDT 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 16:48 bls wrote:
> > That's perfectly reasonable. The fact that std.container is so incomplete
> > is a _huge_ problem for Phobos. It needs to be filled out and its API
> > fully ironed out. Overall, it looks solid, but it just doesn't have
> > enough actual usage at this point to really verify that because of the
> > lack of containers. std.container_will_ be completed, so this really
> > shouldn't be a long term concern, but in the short term, I agree that
> > it's a definite problem.
>
> Thanks.
> I've tried to contact Steven via email in order to stress-test my
> skiplist implementation in dcollections.
>
> (I am not obsessed regarding skiplists, but all measurements I have seen
> so far are showing that in case of massive appending the skiplist
> algorithm wins).. makes sense for std.database (orm/unitofwork)
>
> Nevertheless, what I don't understand is : What has to be ironed out
> before giving std.collections a go ?, What's the show-stopper? The only
> thing I can vaguely imagine is streaming .. but dunno.

std.collections? Do you mean std.container? Andrei wants the custom allocators
sorted out before we implement a bunch of containers that we'd then have to
change. As it is, Array and SList are supposed to be turned into final classes
rather than reference-counted structs, and not even that has happened yet. So,
it seems like std.container has effectively stagnated while waiting for the
custom allocator stuff to be worked out. However, supposedly Andrei is going
to start messing around with the recently reviewed region allocator stuff with
std.container sometime soon in order to iron it out a bit more, but with how
busy he is, I don't know where that stands.

- Jonathan M Davis