D on hackernews

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 21 06:52:27 PDT 2011

On 09/21/2011 09:37 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> http://hackerne.ws/item?id=3014861
>>
>> Apparently we're still having a PR issue.
>
> I think the Wikipedia D page needs to be rewritten, leaving 80-90% of its space to D (meaning D2).

Yes, that is important. Wikipedia is usually the first place people go
looking for information, and much of the information given there is
horribly outdated/wrong and mostly only concerns. Many people think
what's on Wikipedia is true. [citation needed]

"For performance reasons, string slicing and the length property operate
on code units rather than code points (characters), which frequently
confuses developers.[27]"

The link at [27] only says that many programmers that don't had have to
handle unicode have trouble understanding how unicode works initially.
It is not a D thing in any other way than that D actually supports
unicode natively. Yet the 'D strings are strange and confusing' argument
comes up quite often on the web, probably because many feel they are
competent enough to discuss the language after having read the Wikipedia
article.