new frontend written in D

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:35:54 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Trass3r <un at known.com> wrote:

> It's not only about frontend/backend separation.
> The frontend needs to be fully modular. Some applications might not even wish to build up a full AST (like TCC and GCC) while others like refactoring tools need highly detailed information about the original source code.
> So for example the parser must not directly build an AST, but rather take an interface with ActOnForeachStmt like methods.

Yes. I agree. Hm... What if we make a highly modular D-based front-end
like that and provide a DMD-front-end adapter for it?
That wouldn't break anything. DMC, GCC and LLVM would still get the
required data, taken from a front-end with the same interface, so
neither of three compilers would notice the change.
How about that? We could take Dil's parser and work on it as an
alternative to starting from scratch.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Trass3r <un at known.com> wrote:

> What about dil's parser isn't working?
> I thought it was pretty complete.

It doesn't do semantic analysis. Without semantic analysis, it's
useless beyond ddoc.