Request for pre-review: std.serialization/orange

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Sep 29 11:58:30 PDT 2011

I would like to have some form of pre-review of my serialization library
Orange for later inclusion in Phobos as std.serialization (or similar).

The reason for why I would like to have a pre-review is that Orange, in
its current state, supports both D1/Tango and D2/Phobos. I don't want to
spend a lot of time in interacting Orange with Phobos if it have no
chance of getting accepted into Phobos.

I'm hoping with can do like a regular review with the assumption that if
it gets accepted into Phobos I will remove all D1/Tango specific code,
integrate it properly with Phobos and do a second regular review.

A couple of notes for the review:

* The most important packages are: orange.serialization and
orange.serialization.archives

* I will not accept having just one module for this library. I'm hoping
to have a package called "std.serialization" or similar. The question is
if there needs to be a (sub)package for the archives as well.

* For the unit tests I've used my own kind of micro unit test framework
(that is included). Is that something we want to have in general in
Phobos so other modules can take advantage of that? Or should I just rip
out the framework?

* The unit tests are located in its own package, I'm not very happy
about putting the unit tests in the same module as the rest of the code,
i.e. the serialization module

* I'm using some utility functions located in the "util" and "core"
packages, what should we do about those, where to put them?

* I'm not using all of the functions/modules in the above mentioned
utility packages

For usage examples, see the project page:
http://dsource.org/projects/orange/wiki/Tutorials

For more extended usage examples, see the unit tests:
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orange/tree/master/tests

Sources: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orange
Project page: http://dsource.org/projects/orange/
Documentation:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18386187/orange_docs/orange.serialization.Serializer.html

(Don't forget clicking the "Package" tab in the top corner to see the
documentation for the rest of the modules)

--
/Jacob Carlborg