D projects list

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Apr 6 23:52:55 PDT 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.1438.1333780033.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 02:52:38PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.1417.1333721195.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> >
>> > +1. It should have died a DECADE ago. Except that certain interests
>> > kept its decaying worm-infested corpse animating even till today.
>> >

>> Funny, that's also how I feel about C++. As I've been saying for
>> awhile, a decade of near-zero interest in anything but VM languages is
>> what kept it on life support.
>
> I would've felt the same had I known of a suitable replacement for C++
> earlier. But for many years it was the only thing I had (besides pure
> hardcore C) that was even remotely close to what my "ideal" language
> would be.

Getting fed up with C/C++ many years ago prompted me to seek out
alternatives, which happily led me to D back around the 0.8x or 0.9x days.
Heh, I remember being mildly disappointed that 0.99 was followed by 0.100
instead of 1.0 ;)

>> Fortunately, D's quickly becoming the successor that's always been
>> needed so C++ will finally be able to RIP.
>
> You have no idea how many times I swore off C++ because of its inherent
> stupidities (like hash tables not making the C++ standard before C++11,
> among many other sillinesses), only to have to crawl back on my knees
> when other alternatives sucked even more.

Yea, the problem IMO is that for at least a full decade eveyone had drunk
the Sun Kool-Aid and was obsessed with VMs and "interpreted" and all that
silly nonsence. So outside Digital Mars, *real* language development took a
ten year hiatus. Only now are there languages like Rust and Issue 9 trying
to catch up with D.

>> I can personally vouch for the fact that there is *nothing* productive
>> about writing software in Flash. C++ is more productive.
> [...]
>
>From the very first day I heard about Flash, I've had my doubts. It just
> *smelled* wrong. That was before I even had any idea of how it's
> implemented. Time has proven that my gut feeling was correct. Flash is a
> festering wart that should be blotted from off the face of the internet
> for the sake of the future of humanity.

Heh, you've got better intuition than me then :) Until I actually tried to
use it, I don't remember having any problems with Flash beyond terrible,
horrible abuses of it like "Flash Sites", "Flash Intros", and what turned
out to essentially be the second coming of animated GIFs. The *one* good use
of it is stupid/goofy/hilarious shit like "And Wheeeee!" and other such
things that make Newgrounds worthwhile. :)

But, I had *no hint* of the endless mountains of technical problems with it
until I tried it.