D projects list

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Apr 8 02:01:11 PDT 2012

Am Fri, 6 Apr 2012 14:52:38 -0400
schrieb "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a>:

> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1417.1333721195.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 12:34:09PM +0400, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> >> And adobe Flash of course should also die.
> >
> > +1. It should have died a DECADE ago. Except that certain interests kept
> > its decaying worm-infested corpse animating even till today.
> >

> Funny, that's also how I feel about C++. As I've been saying for awhile, a
> decade of near-zero interest in anything but VM languages is what kept it on
> life support. Fortunately, D's quickly becoming the successor that's always
> been needed so C++ will finally be able to RIP.

Hehe, that might work for your own projects, but realistically look at how many more people are knowledgeable about C++, companies have big projects written in C++, desktop environments are written in C++, many tools (internal, commercial, free) exist for C++, it is a stable target and so on. D is still adding features that make it interesting for certain audiences: SSE intrinsics for the Manus of the world (game devs), annotations for GUI/ORM/RPC bindings, short lambda syntax.
Not every feature of D is subjectively better than what is available in C++, but I assume most C++ devs miss _something_ that D offers or will offer (in case of the shared implementation).

--
Marco