DIP16: Transparently substitute module with package

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:23:29 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 7 April 2012 at 17:44:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote

> Like I said, some people do like to do it, but Eclipse doesn't
> like you to,
> and there are quite a few Java folks who argue that it's bad
> practice. I
> forget what the reasons were (maybe increased buld times due to
> pulling in
> more symbols or more issues with symbol conflicts - I don't
> recall), but I
> wasn't particularly convinced when I heard them. Regardless
> though, there's a
> definite contingent against importing with * in the Java
> community, and it was
> my understanding that that contigent was the majority of that
> community, but I
> don't know.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/147454/why-is-using-a-wild-card-with-a-java-import-statement-bad

Their reasoning sounds more due to various packages reinventing
things or being poorly split than actual flaws with package
imports themselves. Besides, D already addresses the issues of
indicating which one you want, without the horribly long package
names that Java has. Seems to me their examples are more like
'import std.*' than 'import std.datetime.*'.