x32-abi + D = fat pointers?

Tove tove at fransson.se
Sun Apr 8 15:22:39 PDT 2012

I just stumbled upon this:
https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/home

/rant

I remember back in the glorious MC68000 days(24bit addressing)...
leaving 8bits for creative optimizations... until 68020 took away
all the fun that is.

So... I was kinda upset that x86-64 was explicitly designed not
to permit such tricks despite having a 48bit addressing mode...
hmpf shooting oneself in the foot is the fun part of programming.

/end rant

Anyway... x32-abi to the rescue, access to 64bit registers just
as normal... but using efficient 32bit pointers, suddenly there
are 32 bits free to play with, D-slices passed around in a single
normal 64bit register anyone? actually 32bits is a lot... one
could also possibly imagine creative flags for the GC.