Discussion on Go and D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Apr 8 16:24:40 PDT 2012

On 4/8/2012 3:57 PM, Manu wrote:
> What do you base that statistic on? I'm not arguing that fact, just that I
> haven't seen any evidence one way or the other. What causes Go to create
> significantly more garbage than D? Are there benchmarks or test cases I should
> be aware of on the topic?

The first ycombinator reference is a person who didn't run out of memory using
D. That implies far less pressure on the gc.

My understanding of Go is that when it does structural conformance, it builds
some of the necessary data at runtime on the gc heap.

Anyhow, D has a lot of facilities for putting things on the stack rather than
the heap, immutable data doesn't need to get copied, and slices allow lots of
reuse of existing objects.