Small Buffer Optimization for string and friends

Artur Skawina art.08.09 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:52:56 PDT 2012

On 04/10/12 19:25, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:50:24 +0200
> schrieb Artur Skawina <art.08.09 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Obviously, yes, but should wait until enough attribute support is in place and
>> not be just a @inline hack.
>
> If you refer to the proposed user attributes, they wont change the operation of the compiler. Only your own program code will know how to use them. @inline, @safe, @property, final, nothrow, ... on the other hand are keywords that directly map to flags and hard wired logic in the compiler. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm saying that introducing new function attributes like @inline to the language,
when there's a real possibility of "generic" attributes being invented in the near
future, may not be a good idea. Any generic scheme should also work for @inline and
the many other attrs that i've mentioned before - there's no reason to artificially
limit the support to *just* user attributes.

artur