Foreach Closures?

James Miller james at aatch.net
Fri Apr 13 02:28:25 PDT 2012

* Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> [2012-04-13 08:40:39 +0200]:
> On 2012-04-13 06:50, Matt Peterson wrote:
> >I agree with that, nothing will quite be the same as a full
> >compiler-as-a-library (CAAL?). But in the meantime, there is a working
> >compiler now, and isn't it better to get some kind of IDE-like
> >functionality sooner rather than waiting for a long time with nothing?
>
> When you say "there is a working compiler now", which on is you
> referring to. DMD, LDC, GDC, SDC or any other? As far as I know
> neither DMD, LDC or GDC is usable as a library. I have no experience
> of SDC and don't know in what state it is.
>
> But I guess we would have to do some investigation and figure out
> what the best to do this would be.
>
> BTW, there are already IDE's with some kind of frontends available.
> MonoD, VisualD, Descent (now old) and possibly others.

I think he means that while there isn't a suitable "CaaL", there are
working compilers that can be improved to supply enough information to
atleast start on IDE integration, even if it isn't as robust or
efficient as an actual library.

>From what I can tell, LDC would probably be the best for the kind of
code analysis an IDE would need, since it is has an LLVM backend. SDC
would be good too, but SDC is probably the best one to try to move
towards adding this functionality.

--
James Miller