D Compiler as a Library

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Apr 19 13:07:02 PDT 2012

"David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
news:ebhaxqxtjuccyqfyapfo at forum.dlang.org...
> On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 09:58:52 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> There's no attribution in MIT.
>
> »The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
> in all copies or substantial portions of the Software« - I am not a
> lawyer, but I what makes you so sure that binaries don't fall under this
> requirement as well?
>
> The Boost people also seem to interpret MIT as requiring binary
> attribution; Dave Abrahams mentioned the binary clause in Boost as a
> difference to MIT in his OSI approval request at least ([1]).

I'm pretty sure that "attribution" typically refers to the requirement that
software X which *uses* software Y must include notice that software Y is
being used.

But you're right that MIT doesn't make it clear whether binary-only
redistributions of software Y must contain the license and copyright notice.