Let's give a honor to dead giants!

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 21 22:32:47 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 04:29:00AM +0200, Froglegs wrote:

> >One thing I miss, though, is ctags support for D. You don't know how
> >powerful such a simple concept is; it lets you navigate 50,000-line
> >source files without even batting an eyelid.  :-) (Just try that in
> >an IDE, and you'll soon get an aneurism from trying to scroll with a
> >1-pixel high scrollbar...)
>

>  You need to use a better IDE then, and get a faster computer, and a
>  mouse with a scroll wheel.

Or I can just stick with vim. It's wayyy faster than any IDE can ever
hope to be, works over a text-only remote ssh connection, and doesn't
need constant moving hands back and forth to the mouse. :-)

(I'll admit, I'm a command-line freak. I don't do GUIs. The only real
GUI that I use on a regular basis is the browser. Which is configured to
strip off all unnecessary toolbars, menus, squint-inducing icons and
other such junk, leaving just the necessary navigation buttons,
maximized area for the page itself (gee what a concept), and keyboard
shortcuts for scrolling, tabbing, etc.. IOW, it behaves almost like a
console app. :-) So my view of the world is probably very warped
relative to yours, just as yours is to mine. :-P)

>  With Visual Studio + Visual Assist navigating huge solutions is
>  fairly trivial, and extremely fast.
>
>  VAX can instantly take you to the definition of any symbol with
>  alt-g(not the build in crap in VS, VAX has better capabilities by
>  far), list all references(not just variables with the same name, it
>  actually understands the code), rename any symbol throughout the
>  entire codebase, and a bunch of other things that only a tool which
>  actually understands the code can do.  All of these operations are
>  extremely fast btw.
[...]

That's what ctags does for vim. And as many have pointed out, somebody
*has* written D support for ctags, so now I'm a very happy man.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
understand. -- Benjamin Franklin