Is D Language mature for MMORPG Client ?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:18:55 PDT 2012

On Friday, 3 August 2012 at 03:13:06 UTC, Kapps wrote:
> On Friday, 3 August 2012 at 02:16:22 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> I think D today is enough to create a small game like that.
>> But D and its standard library are in development still, so
>> probably you will need to fix small things every D release,
>> for some years. Are you able and willing to do this?
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> Every release is slightly exaggerating it. I can think of a few
> major breaking changes, but breaking changes are less frequent
> now IMO. As they should be. Pretty much no D code from a year
> ago will compile today. Definitely a discouraging thing,
> especially if you just try to use someone else's library.

Every change is a potentially breaking change, even if all the
change does is fix a bug (your code could rely on the bug). This
happens to me quite a lot with subtle things. Forever, 2.060
revealed that I had overloaded the same function twice with the
same arguments and same template constraints. Up till 2.060 it
wasn't flagged as an error and worked fine. Yeah, it's my fault
entirely, but it's something I had to fix.

I can't remember upgrading my DMD without having to change
*something*, and my project is only about 10kloc, so it's not
big, and I don't think bearophile is exaggerating at all.

To answer the original question: yes, D is more than capable of
writing games for the major desktop platforms right now, even if
things are a little unstable at the moment.

One thing I will say to you though is that you'll have to avoid
allocations during runtime if you want smooth gameplay as the GC
is quite slow, but you should be doing that in any language.