Officially moving to MediaWiki?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 9 10:18:33 PST 2012

On Sunday, December 09, 2012 13:12:48 David Nadlinger wrote:
> My idea here is that once we have officially decided that we want
> to go forward with the new wiki, everybody would just add their
> own favorite libraries there. Of course, we could already do this
> _now_ in theory, but I think the chance of this happening, even
> if it just takes five minutes, is small as long as the new wiki
> is nothing but a experiment somebody put up on his own domain.

So, basically it's the KDE 4 argument. If we don't move to it (or release it,
in the case of KDE 4), no one will actually move their stuff to it, and we'll
never get anywhere, but if we do, then what we have isn't good enough until
they've actually moved their stuff to it. :)

Personally, I pretty much never use the wiki. I almost always forget that it
even exists. So, I don't really care if there's a transition period where our
official wiki is rather sparse. But if the links and page rankings generally go
to the old wiki, it'll take a while for the new one to have that much traffic
anyway, so having it be initially sparse isn't really a problem except for
those who actually go to the wiki on a regular basis and would have some clue
what is going on. Those who arrive at it via searching or go infrequently
would be essentially unaffected.

- Jonathan M Davis