dlang.org Library Reference

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 10 09:45:06 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:34:13PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 18:10:42 -0800
> Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else noticing e.g. std.datetime taking upwards of 30
> > seconds to render the blob of links at the top? It's freakin freezing
> > my entire browser.
>
> It only takes about a second or two for me in FF2. I'm not seeing
> any blob of links at the top though.

'cos you're running with JS turned off. :-)

Also, I think the actual results depends on your system. If you have a
high-powered system you probably wouldn't notice too much lag. It "only"
takes about 3-4 seconds for me on a dual-core 3.4GHz Intel machine. But
older machines will probably see a bigger lag.

But anyway, I think all of this is kinda missing the point. The point is
that the blob of links at the top of the page is plain unhelpful. It is
only useful if you already know what you're looking for, in which case
you could just use your browser's search function to find the matching
text instead. Much more useful is a broken-down categorization (with
proper nesting, etc.) of the functions, classes, structs, etc., of the
module. Something like what std.algorithm does.

Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in power we
would behave very differently from those who now hold it---when, in
truth, in order to get power we would have to become very much like
them. -- Unknown